Allegro Orthodontics offers Damon braces for children
When is the best time to begin orthodontics?
Though we can enhance a smile at any age, there are optimal time periods to begin treatment. Beginning treatment at these times ensures the best result and the least amount of treatment time and expense. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that the initial orthodontic evaluation should occur at the first sign of orthodontic problems or no later than age 7.
Why is age 7 orthodontically important?
By the age of 7, the first adult molars erupt, establishing the back bite, and the front teeth begin to emerge as well. During this time, we can evaluate front-to-back and side-to-side tooth relationships. For example, the presence of erupting incisors can indicate possible overbite, open bite, crowding or gummy smiles. Timely screening increases the chances for an incredible smile.
What are the advantages of interceptive treatment?
- Some of the most direct results of interceptive treatment are:
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry through influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for unerupted teeth
- Reducing the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time with braces
- Is your child a candidate for orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontics is not merely for improving the aesthetics of the smile; orthodontic treatment improves bad bites (malocclusions). Malocclusions occur as a result of tooth or jaw misalignment. Malocclusions affect the way your child smiles, chews, brushes and flosses and feels about her/his smile.
Why should malocclusions be treated?
According to studies by the American Association of Orthodontists, untreated malocclusions can result in a variety of problems:
- Crowded teeth are more difficult to properly brush and floss, which may contribute to tooth decay and/or gum disease.
- Protruding teeth are more susceptible to accidental chipping.
- Crossbites can result in unfavorable growth and uneven tooth wear.
- Openbites can result in tongue-thrusting habits and speech impediments.
Dr. Nazarov suggests your child be evaluated beginning at age 7. Consultations with him are no cost to you, and doing so provides peace of mind that you are taking good care of your child’s future smile. Ultimately, orthodontics does more than make a pretty smile – it creates a healthier child and adult.